Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hello Everyone, 

Sure maybe a few of you are wondering where I have been.  I have moved (kinda) to my perminent site and today is the first time I have been able to get internet.  I will be living in the East of Ukraine, a 15 hour train ride from Kiev in a city called Pryvilla.  Well a small village would be more accurate, a town of 9,000 people.  People knock the East for being the industrial part of the country and not as beautiful but I love my area, there is a river at the edge of town and trees as far as you can see in every direction.  If you look for it on a map it is on the southern border of Harkiev and Lugansk Oblasts.  I am in the Eastern most oblast, I can see Russia from my house.  (stole that joke from an 80 year old lady, but I find it funny).  I mentioned kinda above because until August 25th I will be living in a summer camp on the outside of my town.  Its been a town of fun so far! I basically just hang out all day and do whatever I want.  I get to eat with the kids at the camp and have my own big room.  The camp is huge, right now there are 160 kids, and they stay for 3 weeks.  They will be followed by 2 more groups for 3 weeks each.  Most of my stuff is in an apartment in Pryvilla so its been kinda frustrating trying to get back and forth when I need stuff, but considering that I get to practice Russian with people a lot, don't have to cook, don't really have to do anything but play all day- I will take it.

  Russian language is coming along, I tested at an intermidate high level when I was in Fastiv 2 weeks ago, which was really excited about.  However that apparently doesn't mean much because I feel like I don't understand anything now.  I keep studying everyday, but its hard battling with accents, fast talkers, unfamiliar topics, and the stress of wanting to understand.  The people at the camp have been great but I really wish I could be more of a help, its amazing how big of a language plays in culture.

  Pryvilla seems pretty nice so far, only having been here a little bit. I got to spend time with the mayor which was fun, and my co workers and director at my school all seem wonderful.  

  Liz is coming to visit in 3 weeks which I am beyond excited about.  We will head back to Kiev and to Fastiv for a few days to spend time with my host family there.  I am slowly making a list of things that will be requested from America, top of my list is 2 baseball gloves and a baseballs.  If there is anything else that you want me to have please contact Liz ha.

  I got a second phone with a new number if you need to get a hold of me +380 99 2618604.

Well I think thats all I got now, its been pretty interesting being unconnected from the internet for several weeks.  I never understood how people could go with out the news everyday but once you go cold turkey you quickly realize how none of it really matters.  Well I miss you all, hope all is well.

Peace

Bob

1 comment:

  1. miss u too bobo, if i think of anything, which i prob will i will send it with liz. keep having a blast and making a difference. enjoy every minute and cannot wait to hear more of your experiences.

    -Doc

    ReplyDelete